We’re all guilty of putting off the dreaded oven cleaning chore, but we’re here to tell you it doesn’t need to be all that bad!
If the thought of harsh chemicals and strong smells is part of what’s putting you off, we’ve got some really easy ways you can clean your oven using completely natural products. Plus, you’re likely to have most of these in your cupboards anyway so it won’t even cost you a penny!
Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda )
Sponge or cleaning cloth
Mixing bicarbonate of soda with white vinegar creates a magic cleaning cheat that works wonders in removing grease and grime and won’t leave you with any strong smells! Here’s how it’s done:
- In a small bowl mix a 1/2 cup of bicarbonate of soda with a few tablespoons of water.
- Spread the paste over all the interior surfaces in your oven, steering clear of the heating elements.
- Allow the baking soda mixture to rest for at least 12 hours, or overnight.
- After your 12 hours have passed, use a damp dishcloth or plastic spatula to wipe off as much of the paste as you can. Spray very grimy spots with white vinegar which will react and foam.
- Wipe away all the paste and vinegar until it is gone and the oven is looking its shiny best.
- Place your oven racks and anything else you took out of the oven and there you have it, your oven has been cleaned using natural ingredients!
Clean with steam!
Oven safe dish
Steam is a genius natural cleaning tool that works wonders on many surfaces including your oven! Make your oven look like brand new with no horrible smells or harmful substances. Here’s how!
- Remove everything from your oven.
- Gently wipe the inside of the oven using a damp cloth to remove any food debris from the inside floor.
- Fill an oven safe dish with part water and part white vinegar and place it on a rack in the middle of your oven.
- Turn the oven on to 250 degrees and leave for 30 minutes.
- Allow the oven to cool then use a scouring pad around the inside of your oven to remove any leftover food debris.
Lemon or vanilla
Fresh lemon or a few drops of vanilla can banish bad smells and leave your oven smelling fresh and clean and even spread throughout your home. Here’s how:
- Fill an ovenproof bowl with water and add a few drops of lemon or vanilla.
- Heat the bowl on 300 degrees for just one hour.
- Open your oven and enjoy the fresh lemon or vanilla scent!