Fancy yourself as the next Mary Berry? Well, these top baking hacks will help you rise to the challenge!
If this year’s Great British Bake Off has got you in a baking frenzy, you’re definitely not alone! Although the contestants making it look easy, baking can be difficult to get right. So, we’ve put together some nifty tips to take the stress out of baking and have you feeling like a winner!
- For easier baking, ensure your ingredients are at room temperature before you begin.
- Use powdered sugar instead of flour to roll out your dough. It melts into the dough and doesn’t leave a white dusting on your treats.
- If your out of brown sugar, combine white sugar with some molasses to make it yourself!
- Remove annoying eggshells by wetting your fingers first. The shell will gravitate towards your finger and make it easier to remove.
- Use lace as a stencil for your icing sugar to create a beautiful design.
- Speed up your banana ripening process by putting them in the oven for 40 minutes.
- For an extra sweet taste, use marshmallows for icing!
- Keep cookies moist by storing them in a container with a slice of apple or an orange peel.
- When using your cookie cutter, dip it in flour to reduce sticking.
- Soften butter faster by putting it in a sealable bag and flattening it with a rolling pin.
- For tastier dough, grate the butter to for even distribution.
- To prevent sticky ingredients from being a bother, apply cooking spray to your measuring cup or spoon.
- Slice your dough evenly using dental floss to prevent them from getting squashed.
- For fluffier whipped cream, chill your beater and bowl before you start.
- Add moisture to your cake mix by adding mayo! (Don’t worry mayo hatters you can’t taste it!)
- Turn your cake mix into cookie dough by adding ½ a cup of oil and 2 eggs! This works on most boxed cake mixes.
- Create perfectly sliced cake by heating your knife beforehand. Just run it under hot water for a few seconds and your slices will be even as well as yummy!
- Make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of milk!
- Store your cake in the microwave! It’s sealed, free of dust and will keep your cake fresher for longer.
- Separate egg whites by using the palm of your hand, letting the egg white run through your fingers.
- Use your favourite chocolate bar instead of chocolate chips in cookies for a cheaper and tastier result!
- A pinch means 3 fingers! Use your thumb, index finger, and middle finger to get the right amount.
- Read the recipe thoroughly before you start for a smoother journey!
- Show off your masterpiece!
The one thing we all hate about baking is the cleaning up afterwards! Check out our tips to ensure it’s not such a chore!