Whether you’re a clean freak, a once a weeker or a cleaning hater, we’re here to help you out with not 1 but 22 easy peasy cleaning tips for a happy, clean home!
Here is everything you need to know about dusting, wiping, mopping, sweeping and everything in between!
1. Make a cleaning solution using ½ coconut oil and ½ baking soda to get rid of any sticky spills from surfaces. This homemade mixture works brilliantly.
2. Clean out your dryer vents. This is important to prevent fires and should be done every 6 months. It only takes about 15-20 minutes to do and is surprisingly easy! So long as your duct work is accessible you can do this no problem.
3. Hang your mops and brooms upright rather than putting them on the floor. This prevents them from gathering mildew and getting bent.
4. Use vinegar as an alternative to harmful chemicals for cleaning. Vinegar kills 99.9% of bacteria, 82% of moulds and more than 80% of viruses. You can mix vinegar with tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide or baking soda to increase its anti-bacterial effectiveness. If you use with hydrogen peroxide apply it separately from vinegar rather than mixing before. It is recommended not to use vinegar in your microwave or oven as your kitchen will smell like vinegar for days when using those appliances. Also never mix bleach with vinegar as it creates a dangerous chemical reaction.
5. Use WD-40 to get rid of scuff marks on floors.
6. Use aluminium foil on your baking sheets to prevent stuck on messes. Where possible wrap the food itself in foil to prevent spillage.
7. You can cut a hole in a cloth and put over hanger to make dust covers for coats.
8. Whilst cleaning your bathroom fill the tub with a couple inches of the hottest water you can draw from the tap. Heating up the bathroom 10 degrees above normal air temperature will double the effectiveness of cleaners and disinfectants. Let them sit for 5-7 minutes and thoroughly wipe clean to prevent build up.
9. Use an old sock to clean blinds. Slip an old sock onto your hand and wipe the dirt and grime away. Rinse in warm water when the sock gets really dirty and repeat.
10. Use a cut bagel (or other stodgy white bread) to clean paintings. Cut the bagel in half to expose the inside. Rub over the painting. Not too hard but with just enough pressure to lift the dirt and dust from the surface.
11. Get rid of nasty, lingering smells in your home using vanilla extract. Put two caps full of vanilla extract in a coffee cup then place in the oven at 200 degrees for one hour. Within 20 minutes your house will smell vanilla-y delicious.
12. Fill a dishwand with ½ vinegar and ½ dishwashing detergent and take it in the shower with you to wash down the walls whilst you’re in there!
13. Rub down taps with wax paper to prevent water spots and finger prints.
14. Use old tights to wipe down candles. They’ll remove any dust that’s collected on them.
15. Dust first, then vacuum. This way you will pick up any fallen dust.
16. Try using an iron to remove really tough stains from the carpet. Put a white, clean cloth over the stain then iron over the top. The heat from the iron will help to lift the stain.
17. Wipe down skirting boards with fabric softener sheets.
18. Clean your mattress in a chemically-free way. Remove all your bedding, hoover between the mattress and box spring for a really good, all over clean. Mix together 1 cup of baking soda with 5-6 drops of essential lavender oil. Pop the lid on and shake it up. Sprinkle over the mattress and let sit for an hour. Then use the hose of your vacuum to suck up the baking soda. The baking soda will absorb all the dirt and dust mites from the mattress and the lavender leaves it smelling lovely!
19. Revitalise your iron soleplate. Shake ¼ to 1/3 of a cup of salt over a brown paper bag. Turn the iron on (making sure the steam setting is off) and just begin ironing. Keep ironing over the salt and it will clean the soleplate. Discard the left-over salt.
20. Clean your window/ sliding door tracks. Dip a cotton wool bud into some vinegar and run along the track. It’s that simple!
21. Clean your sink drain. Using a toothbrush, lemon and some baking soda you can get your drain cleaned and smelling great! Wet the surface of the sink and sprinkle with baking soda. Work the baking soda into a paste and rinse thoroughly. Use a soft bristled toothbrush and baking soda to give in and around the drain a good scrub. Rinse and repeat. Rub down the handles with a mild soapy mixture. Finally line entire sink with paper towels that have been soaked in vinegar. Let sit for 20 minutes then dispose of the paper towels. Rub the sink with a soapy nylon sponge and give a good rinse.
22. To kill germs and viruses that can get in your sponges, microwave on high for 2 minutes and let cool.
Tags: Cleaning Tips